SADDLE FIT EVALUATIONS & FITTINGS
So that I can give you and your horse the best possible service, please
- Check your emails after you submit your registration form. I do the scheduling in the office via email when I have the calendar and map in front of me.
- Allow at least 2-3 hours for your saddle fit appointment. Horses do not do well when we try to rush them. Also, I am never sure exactly how long the horse before you will take so times are going to be approximate.
- Don't schedule a lesson or any other appointments for your horse on the same day, he will likely be ridden several times during your appointment and again I am never sure exactly how long the horse before you will take.
- Have your horse groomed and ready to measure, but let him wait in his stall until we are finished measuring you and your saddle. Some horses are more patient then others.
- Be prepared to have the primary rider ride the horse in the primary saddle but please no riding before the evaluation (lunging a fresh horse is OK) Even if you know you want to purchase new, it is still necessary to ride the horse in the current saddle first
- To get the most accurate measurements, practice having your horse stand still and square.
- Bring your trainer, spouse, friends, family, or all of the above the more the merrier. I am happy to answer questions to help spread the word about proper saddle fit and how it affects our horse's behavior, performance and ultimately the health of horse and rider.
After we have measured you, your saddle and your horse, we will have you ride for a few minutes without a saddle pad, if possible. Riding without the pad helps us to see exactly what your saddle is doing while you are riding. NOTE: You will want to ride your horse in your old saddle even if you plan to buy a new one. It is a very important part of the process and will help me pick the best saddle for you.
After you ride in your saddle, we will review your options:
1. Your saddle fit is already very good & nothing needs to be done for 6-12 months. Since horses change shape, it is recommended to have your saddle fit evaluated again in 6-12 months.
2. Your saddle can be adjusted or the fit can be improved with one of your saddle pads or with one of our Thin Line Shimmable Saddle Pads.
3. If your saddle does not fit & nothing can be done, you can take the information and go saddle shopping or keep the saddle and shop for a new horse.
4. You can try one of our adjustable saddles to see which ones are comfortable for you and your horse.
Some horses don't know that saddles don't have to be uncomfortable, but once they find out some will not go back to a poor fitting saddle without performance or behavior issues. We don't know what we don't know, but once we find out, we can't go back. For some, it is very upsetting to find out that the saddle we were using on our horse was causing him discomfort, poor behavior and sometimes painful damage. We can only move forward, educate ourselves and do better.
Several Peter Horobin, DP Saddlery, Specialized and TW Saddles are in stock and available to try at your evaluation. Occasionally, the right saddle is in stock but usually we need to order. Ordered saddles usually take between 3 and 5 months. Either way, if one of our saddles is purchased your next evaluation and fitting will be free. I recommend that first free fitting be done in 3 to 6 months. Most horses improve their posture and topline after a few months of riding in a new fitted saddle.
- The evaluation fee is $149 for horses within 75 miles of our farm at 470 Copperhead Lane, Crossville, TN.
- The evaluation fee is $124 per horse at our farm at 470 Copperhead Lane, Crossville, TN.
- The fee for saddle fitting, flocking and/or tree adjustments depends on the time involved (usually $50-$125)
- Accepted payment methods: Checks, Cash & Paypal. We do not accept credit cards.
Please let me know as soon as possible if you need to reschedule so that someone else that has been waiting can be offered your spot. Thank you for your consideration!