SADDLE FIT EVALUATIONS
At your saddle fit evaluation/consultation, you will learn why your saddle fits or why it doesn't fit and what if anything can be done about it. Any type or number of saddles can be evaluated. The fee is $149 per horse, $124 for your second horse or $99 per horse hauled into our farm. You may already have the right saddle, pad and girth and just not sure which combination is the best to use. Or you may be considering a saddle to purchase.
So that we can give your horse the best possible service, we ask that you please;
- check your emails after you submit your registration form, scheduling is done via email first come first serve
- allow at least 2-3 hours for your saddle fit evaluation/consultation or fitting
- don't schedule a lesson or any other appointments for your horse on the same day, he will likely be ridden several times during your appointment
- have your horse groomed and ready to measure, but let him wait in his stall until we are finished with your saddle
- be prepared to have the primary rider ride the horse in the primary saddle but please no riding before the evaluation (lunging a fresh horse is OK)
- to get the most accurate measurements, practice having your horse stand still and square
- bring your trainer, spouse, friends, family, all of the above, the more the merrier!
After we have measured you, your saddles and horse, we will have you ride without a saddle pad, if possible. Riding without the pad helps us to see exactly what your saddle is doing while you are riding. NOTE: You will want to ride your horse in your old saddle even if you plan to buy a new one. It is a very important part of the process and will help me pick the best saddle for you.
After you ride in your saddle, we will review your options:
1. Your saddle fit is already very good & nothing needs to be done for 6-12 months. Since horses change, it is recommended to have your saddle fit evaluated every 6-12 months.
2. Your saddle fit can be improved with your saddle pads or with one of our Thin Line Shimmable Saddle Pads.
3. Your saddle does not fit & nothing can be done.
4. You can try one of our adjustable saddles.
5. You can take the information and go shopping for another saddle from another source.
6. You can keep your saddle and go shopping for a new horse to fit it.
Several Peter Horobin, Specialized and TW Saddles are in stock and available to try at your evaluation. Occasionally, the right saddle is in stock but usually we need to order. Either way, if one of our saddles is purchased your next evaluation and fitting will be free. I recommend the first free fitting be done in 3 to 6 months. There are often big changes in the horse's posture after a poorly fitting saddle has been replaced.
Some horses don't know that saddles don't have to be uncomfortable, but once they find out some will not go back to a poor fitting saddle without performance or behavior issues. Because I have seen this happen numerous times, I will not do saddle fit evaluations at shows or clinics.
We don't know what we don't know, but once we find out, we can't go back. For some, it is very upsetting to find out that the saddle we were using on our horse was causing him discomfort, poor behavior and sometimes painful damage. We can only move forward, educate ourselves and do better.
The evaluation fee at your barn within 150 miles
of Copperhead Lane in Crossville, TN is $149 per horse.
$124 for your second, third & fourth horse.
Saddle fit evaluations/fittings at our farm on Copperhead Lane are $99 per horse
Fees for flocking, tree adjustments and custom saddle pads are depending on the time involved.
To schedule your saddle fit evaluation or to demo a Peter Horobin, Specialized or TW Saddle go to
Thank you for considering your horse's health and comfort. I am looking forward to working with you.